Shifu Gary Mitchell is a native Georgian, and runs the Chien Hong School of Kung Fu in Atlanta, Georgia. The school was named after Lin, Jian Hong, Shi Fu Mitchell’s teacher and inspiration, with whom he trained in Taipei, Taiwan for a number of years.
Shi Fu Mitchell became a specialist in Hung Quan, a southern Shao-Lin style, as well as Chinese lion and dragon dance in the styles of both Northern and Southern China.
Favoring the traditional approach to martial arts, Shi Fu Mitchell has studied weapons technique and forms, as well as gaining knowledge of Chinese medicine.
With over 20 year’s experience, Shi Fu Mitchell has competed in local, national and international events, including a full-contact international tournament in Taipei.
He has also been involved in martial arts demonstrations at many cultural festivals. Shi Fu Mitchell believes that children are the future of the art, so he ensures that demonstrations take place at all kinds of educational institutions. His showmanship and expertise have enlivened many events; in addition he has frequently been invited to perform as a special guest at ‘master’ demonstrations across the US. His interest in the culture and heritage of his chosen style has led him to host annual Chinese New Year celebrations at the school. Shi Fu Mitchell and the Chien Hong School of Kung Fu are actively involved in Asian cultural arts festivals as well.
Today he continues to expand his knowledge, studying aspects of combat, weaponry and the disciplines inherent in Shao-Lin Fist Styles, as well as teaching classes. In addition he was featured in a martial arts commercial for WebVan.com.
Shi Fu Mitchell is proud to announce a return to “the roots” of Chien Hong School’s beginnings. Returned to Atlanta’s Inman Park neighborhood, brings us closer to the school’s original location in the artist community of Little 5 points.
List of Credentials
More than 30 years of Chinese Martial Arts experience
Numerous national and international competitions
Master demonstrations at numerous Chinese Martial Arts tournaments
• Mercer University of Law self-defense demonstration
• AT&T women’s self-defense seminar
• Zoo Atlanta fundraiser for Chinese pandas
• Atlanta Botanical Gardens Asian Cultural Festival
• Various high schools, elementary schools, and private schools
• UNICEF charity fundraiser (performing for former President Jimmy Carter and 20/20 host Hugh Downs)
• World of Coca-Cola Asian Cultural Festival
• Phoenix, AZ. Asia Day Festival
• Phoenix, AZ. Asian Cultural Festival
• Lion Dance demonstrations for Epcot Center (1988-1989)
• Various Taiwan high schools and technical institutions
• Kung Fu and Lion Dance performed at functions for all Asian holidays observed in R.O.C.
• Taiwan Presidential Candidates Party
• Taiwanese business Grand Openings
Published an instructional tape on Hung Quan Chin Na locking techniques
Annual Stone Mountain Dragon Boat Races
Hosts annual Chinese New Year and Asian cultural arts festivals
Hosts annual seminars by Grand Master Lin, who travels from Taipei, Taiwan